This video from the Netherlands was made because some cyclists were not happy at this rather awkward obstacle placed on a cycle path. It was implemented because local residents were fed up with scooters speeding on this cycle path.
Some Observations from Video.
- I wish my biggest concern about cycling in Oxford was a few awkward turns to navigate! There are a few barriers like this in Oxford, but it doesn’t even register as a problem. This really wouldn’t dissuade me from cycling. Though it was a bit awkward for those with bike taxis!
- It seems there are a huge numbers of cyclists using the cycle path, yet no-one looks like a cyclist!
- Cars seem to give way to cyclists as matter of course. I couldn’t think of any place in UK where cycle lane has priority over a road!
- It would require a big shift in attitude for drivers to give way to a predominantly cycle lane.
- The barrier clearly doesn’t seem to stop speeding scooters anyway.