Snake Pass: 6 Km Average Grade: 5.7% Elev Gain 348m The hill climb version is a little shorter. After two weeks in New York, it was a very different cycling experience – back to England and the start of the hill climb season. I decided to begin the hill climb season by doing a new […]
In the UK, hill climbs are generally short time trial races up hills. They can last from anything between 2-10 minutes. Though there are also longer hill climbs of 10+ KM. Some races, like up Mount Washington, Alpe d’Huez can take over 30 minutes. Training for hill climbs requires getting fit to race at this […]
I blame Simon Warren and his 100 greatest climbs. I can’t think of any other reason for finding myself fighting up a 20% gradient on a tough cobbled climb from an industrial estate near Keighley. (Thwaites Brow, #140, 2nd Edition) As a devotee of pro cycling, I’ve always been enamoured of the famous cobbles of […]
Last Friday, I traveled to Lake District to ride up some of the major Lake District hill climbs. After Kirkstone Pass, Red Hill Climb, and Langdale pass, I ended up at the bottom of Wrynose Pass, with this sufficiently ominous looking sign. Wrynose pass from Ambleside to the West is a long challenging climb, but […]
Hill Climb Agony (photo by Bernard Thompson) See also: How to Ride a hill climb Tips for cycling up hills National Hill Climb Championships Hill Climbs are a uniquely painful and challenging cycle race. The ideal is simple – ride up a hill as fast as you can. It’s just you, your bike and your […]
I like all aspects of cycling, but it’s climbing up hills which is probably my favourite aspect. Because I’ve climbed so many hills around the UK, I really enjoyed reading 100 Greatest hill climbs by Simon Warren- about some of the most testing hills for cycling in the UK. I asked the author, Simon […]
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter
- I only post new blogs at cyclinguphill.com December 2, 2013
- results from today October 27, 2013
- Cycling uphill September 27, 2013
- Cat & Fiddle hill climb 2013 September 22, 2013
- 3 days rest works quite well September 17, 2013
- Cycling in Oxford Photos July 31, 2012
- Classic Time Trial Photos July 22, 2008
- Best Puncture Proof Tyres June 8, 2011
- Hill Climbs September 12, 2011
- Cycling Rates by Country March 30, 2009
- Why Would You Want an Electric Bike?: […] according to Cycling Info bike usage in ...
- Lars: I don't see how forcing cars to spend more time i...
- Carlo: There is a messenger bag that's also a pannier ba...
- Graham Wilkinson: Thanks for the article. I have cycled for many...
- Laura: Agreed: slow down! Having fallen off my bike sever...
- 10 Reasons to Take Up Cycling
- Cycling, Negativity and How to enjoy the bike
- Cycling Stats
- 10 Reasons to Love Cyclists
- Cycling Facts
- Cycling and the Law
- Cycling Highlights
- Tips for Commuting by Bicycle
- Cycle Paths
- Best Commuting Bike
- Effective Ways to Encourage Cycle Use
- Defensive Cycling
- What Kind of Cyclist are you?
- Fellow cyclists
- Cycling in England
- Training for Cyclo Sportives
- 25 Mile Time Trials
- Cycling Nutrition