Sport can be a tough world. Imagine working for 12 years at a job, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week – sacrificing diet, and all the usual conveniences of life. But after those 12 years of work, the end result is only a perceived failure with no pension or pay off. A sense […]
It was quite a fitting end to the Olympic track programme to see Sir Chris Hoy warmly embraced by Olympic legend Sir Steve Redgrave. Sir Steve Redgrave won five consecutive gold medals at five different Olympics – an unprecedented achievement. Sir Chris Hoy took his final tally to 6 gold and 1 silver from four […]
photo S.E Star / CC In an age of glib marketing sentiments, it’s easy to be a little cyclical about another slogan ‘Inspire a Generation’. But, despite all the clichés and imperfections of the Olympics, I’ve found myself drawn into this great sporting spectacle and feel genuinely inspired by the Olympic spirit. It’s an inspiration […]
At 250Km the Olympic road race will be one of most interesting events on the Olympic calender. The standout favourite is Mark Cavendish. If the peleton finishes in a bunch sprint on the Mall, it would be hard to bet against Mark Cavendish. The box hill circuit 9* 15Km circuits include a substantial amount of […]
“Citius, Altius, Fortius.” – “Swifter, Higher, Stronger.” The motto of the Olympics is a great inspiration. Yet, these days the Olympics deviates from this pure motto of athletic inspiration. We have events like synchronised swimming (though thankfully, the solo variety of synchronised swimming was not continued after 1992), even golf is going to be admitted […]
The track cycling is nearly over, but Victoria Pendleton managed to claim another Gold for the British Team, beating Australia’s Anna Meares in the final. China’s Guo Shuang beat Willy Kanis for bronze. Bradley Wiggins missed out on a third gold in the madison. But, Chris Hoy has reached the final against fellow British rider […]
GB pursuit team won Gold in 4km Pursuit in a time of 3 minutes 53 seconds, beating Denmark by over 6 seconds. It beat their old world record by 2 seconds. A very impressive ride. Bradley Wiggins Paul Manning Gerraint Thomas Ed Clancy
Bos and Hoy in Track Sprint This morning was the start of the 500 metre track sprint for men and women. After the qualifying time trial, riders go through to the quarters, semi and then final. The sprint takes place over 3 days. Victoria Pendleton, is a strong favourite for the women’s title. I hope […]
A reader left a comment asking me what I thought about Chris Boardman’s choice of greatest Olympians of all time at the Independent Boardman’s Choice was Steve Redgrace Michael Phelps Carl Lewis Mark Spitz A British cyclist (in a few years time) Choosing the best Olympian or best Cyclist of all time, is the surest […]
A review of the opening days of the Olympics: Beijing Olympics – The Good so Far Spectacular Opening Ceremony. Michael Phelps becoming most successful Olympic athlete of all time. The procession of World Records set in the Swimming pool. (Of course, If it was cycling people wouldn’t be explaining these fast times on a new […]
As much as I have loved watching the Olympics, I’ve come to dread the post race interviews. I guess when you’ve just finished a race, the last thing you want to do is to have to give a coherent, well thought out interview. At the end of a race, all the emotions come to the […]
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter
- I only post new blogs at cyclinguphill.com December 2, 2013
- results from today October 27, 2013
- Cycling uphill September 27, 2013
- Cat & Fiddle hill climb 2013 September 22, 2013
- 3 days rest works quite well September 17, 2013
- Cycling in Oxford Photos July 31, 2012
- Classic Time Trial Photos July 22, 2008
- Best Puncture Proof Tyres June 8, 2011
- Hill Climbs September 12, 2011
- Cycling Rates by Country March 30, 2009
- Why Would You Want an Electric Bike?: […] according to Cycling Info bike usage in ...
- Lars: I don't see how forcing cars to spend more time i...
- Carlo: There is a messenger bag that's also a pannier ba...
- Graham Wilkinson: Thanks for the article. I have cycled for many...
- Laura: Agreed: slow down! Having fallen off my bike sever...
- 10 Reasons to Take Up Cycling
- Cycling, Negativity and How to enjoy the bike
- Cycling Stats
- 10 Reasons to Love Cyclists
- Cycling Facts
- Cycling and the Law
- Cycling Highlights
- Tips for Commuting by Bicycle
- Cycle Paths
- Best Commuting Bike
- Effective Ways to Encourage Cycle Use
- Defensive Cycling
- What Kind of Cyclist are you?
- Fellow cyclists
- Cycling in England
- Training for Cyclo Sportives
- 25 Mile Time Trials
- Cycling Nutrition