On the tow path
Simple Tips for Cycling on a towpath
- Enjoy the ride. It’s not a race.
- Be considerate of other users and be prepared to slow down. You know how much it means when motorists are considerate to bicycles, and how infuriating it is when cars expect you to dive out of the way.
- Use a bell, but bear in mind people – won’t hear it or they will hear it and move into your path rather than away.
- Be grateful you’re not riding on a dual carriageway
- Be grateful you’re not racing up a hill. A towpath is usually flat, I think.
It can get a little crowded.
But sometimes you are rewarded with wonderful views. (University church and Radcliffe Camera through Christ Church Meadow)