Being on holiday, you often miss all the news (which is quite refreshing). But, I did seem to miss the all party parliamentary – ‘Get Britain Cycling’ initiative. Improving the situation on the roads, any small incremental improvement is worth encouraging. There will be no Dutch revolution where we wake up one day, with beautiful […]
As part of Blackpool illuminations, upto 12,000 cyclists were able to ride up and down the promenade on the evening they were switched on. Looks a lot of fun. An exciting preview of Blackpool Illuminations between 7pm and 10pm. Blackpool illuminations
At the race on Sunday, a young hill climber asked for some advice on training for hill climbs. I just about managed to blurt out ‘you could try some intervals’ I was probably more concerned with deciding how many home made scones and jam I wanted to eat – my mind seemed to go blank […]
Coming back from two weeks in America, I wondered whether my diet of donuts, American diners and triple Chocolate Chip cookies might have caused me to put on any weight. But, fortunately, my bathroom scales seemed completely unmoved by two weeks of American food. It’s a funny thing America. Most days I cycled to the […]
I’m currently on holiday for a ‘training camp’ in Jamaica, Queens. It’s all focused on the hill climb season now. As part of my training, I cycle 2 miles to an outside velodrome at Kissena Park and try and so some kind of intervals over the lumpy concrete track. If I’m really feeling adventurous, I […]
For those just starting to get into road cycling, these are a few tips from my own experience of riding a bike for past 20 years. Buying a bike The first place to start is with buying a road bike. You don’t have to spend a fortune. For an entry level road bike, I would […]
I was out training around Stokenchurch and Marlow; and after several hill intervals, I was looking for a reason to take a breather. On a quiet country lane near Frieth, I saw a cyclist walking along the road, not looking terribly happy. I stopped to ask if there was a problem. He replied a double […]
Recently, I wrote about letting go of small transgressions. This is mainly from a personal perspective of staying sane. If you get annoyed by every irritation and minor problem on the road, you would be mad most of the time. But, although I’m personally keen to let go of small transgressions, I’m very glad to […]
My Quark power meter arrived yesterday. I haven’t quite become Chris Froome, just yet (see tumblr: Chris Froome looking at stems) Here are few initial observations on power meters. I remember seeing a photo of Bradley Wiggin’s power output after winning the UK 10 mile TT championship in 2011, and showing his average power output […]
I was interested to read about a recent ‘I Pay Road Tax Campaign‘ (I have talked about this before – Should cyclists pay road tax?) Here are some more thoughts on the issue. The original road tax was abolished in 1937, but the name has stuck around. Most adults with a car have to pay […]
This picture was taken during the German occupation of Denmark 1940-45. It would be interesting to know more about the background to this photo. It only states Cyclists at Nørrebrogade in Copenhagen (1940-45). (Flickr) More photos at Danish resistance archives The mood looks sombre, no-one is smilling. But, the road is packed with cyclists going […]
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter
- I only post new blogs at cyclinguphill.com December 2, 2013
- results from today October 27, 2013
- Cycling uphill September 27, 2013
- Cat & Fiddle hill climb 2013 September 22, 2013
- 3 days rest works quite well September 17, 2013
- Cycling in Oxford Photos July 31, 2012
- Classic Time Trial Photos July 22, 2008
- Best Puncture Proof Tyres June 8, 2011
- Hill Climbs September 12, 2011
- Cycling Rates by Country March 30, 2009
- Why Would You Want an Electric Bike?: […] according to Cycling Info bike usage in ...
- Lars: I don't see how forcing cars to spend more time i...
- Carlo: There is a messenger bag that's also a pannier ba...
- Graham Wilkinson: Thanks for the article. I have cycled for many...
- Laura: Agreed: slow down! Having fallen off my bike sever...
- 10 Reasons to Take Up Cycling
- Cycling, Negativity and How to enjoy the bike
- Cycling Stats
- 10 Reasons to Love Cyclists
- Cycling Facts
- Cycling and the Law
- Cycling Highlights
- Tips for Commuting by Bicycle
- Cycle Paths
- Best Commuting Bike
- Effective Ways to Encourage Cycle Use
- Defensive Cycling
- What Kind of Cyclist are you?
- Fellow cyclists
- Cycling in England
- Training for Cyclo Sportives
- 25 Mile Time Trials
- Cycling Nutrition