Due to very poor circulation in my hands, I’ve researched a lot of gloves for winter. At various times, I have tried a huge range of gloves, and combinations of gloves. When I looked around the house, I found over 19 pairs (or incomplete pairs of gloves) – and that doesn’t include the ones I’ve […]
Recently a reader asked for any tips on good value winter cycle clothing. Over the years I’ve tested and used a huge variety of winter clothes. These are some of the best options for staying relatively dry and warm in winter, without breaking the bank. I’ve never been inspired to spend a lot on winter […]
There are a few Eureka moments in cycling. – Like when you can master the art of cycling no hands, when you realise you can actually cycle three miles to work and still live to tell the tale, when you realise it’s an awfully lot more comfortable to wear proper cycling shorts than jeans and […]
Over Christmas I bought these Castelli Nanoflex Legwarmers. For the past few weeks of cold weather, I’ve been testing and am quite pleased with the product. Warmth The material is warm and I used over a great tolerance of temperatures down to 4 – 5 degrees. Below that, and you would want something warmer, but […]
Over the years, I have tried innumerable combinations of waterproofing in the hope of finding that perfect rain jacket. I have found that the perfect jacket doesn’t really exist. The best jacket really depends on the purpose of what kind of cycling you have done. I’m always tempted by cheap, light, easy to pack, ‘waterproof […]
For quite a few years of cycle commuting I never really used waterproof trousers. I would kind of get wet, curse the weather and take a spare pair of trousers. My first pair of waterproof cycling trousers were pretty useless and this must have been what put me off (they did only cost £15 from […]
The great debate about cycling helmets is not likely to disappear. But, when cycling around Oxford, I am often surprised to see a lot of people who wear a helmet, fail to wear it properly. If you do make the effort to wear a helmet you might as well wear it properly. Incorrect Fitting of […]
blending in with surroundings is not entirely the best strategy for cycling in busy cities, but, it does often seem to be the most popular. I was stuck in Marston getting an Ipod adapter fitted to my car, so I was taking a few photos. Not too many cyclists about, probably because it was raining […]
Some of the best cycling clothers I have bought: Assos F1 Mile Padded Cycling Shorts. These are the most comfortable pair of cycling shorts I’ve tested. If you find sitting on a saddle for several hours painful, I definitely recommend these padded cycling shorts which will help make the ride less painful on the old […]
Am happy with new cycling shoes – Mavic Tourmalet after a long battle to find a pair which fit well. They look pretty good too. When it comes to buying shoes I would prefer buying from a local shop than online. I have always had difficulty buying cycling shoes. Partly, because manufacturers have widely different […]
As you read this I will be cycling through Ireland. I have gone on a cycling holiday and, undoubtedly, I will also be cycling through some rain… It’s tough cycling in the rain, but, with the right gear not quite as bad as it looks from inside the comfort of your house. Jeans are unfortunately […]
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter
- I only post new blogs at cyclinguphill.com December 2, 2013
- results from today October 27, 2013
- Cycling uphill September 27, 2013
- Cat & Fiddle hill climb 2013 September 22, 2013
- 3 days rest works quite well September 17, 2013
- Cycling in Oxford Photos July 31, 2012
- Classic Time Trial Photos July 22, 2008
- Best Puncture Proof Tyres June 8, 2011
- Hill Climbs September 12, 2011
- Cycling Rates by Country March 30, 2009
- Why Would You Want an Electric Bike?: […] according to Cycling Info bike usage in ...
- Lars: I don't see how forcing cars to spend more time i...
- Carlo: There is a messenger bag that's also a pannier ba...
- Graham Wilkinson: Thanks for the article. I have cycled for many...
- Laura: Agreed: slow down! Having fallen off my bike sever...
- 10 Reasons to Take Up Cycling
- Cycling, Negativity and How to enjoy the bike
- Cycling Stats
- 10 Reasons to Love Cyclists
- Cycling Facts
- Cycling and the Law
- Cycling Highlights
- Tips for Commuting by Bicycle
- Cycle Paths
- Best Commuting Bike
- Effective Ways to Encourage Cycle Use
- Defensive Cycling
- What Kind of Cyclist are you?
- Fellow cyclists
- Cycling in England
- Training for Cyclo Sportives
- 25 Mile Time Trials
- Cycling Nutrition