The 2013 Tour de France is over, and this year I really enjoyed it. I thought it was the best tour I can remember watching. Nearly as exciting as the breaking news that a British woman has just had a baby. Though Froome was clearly the strongest rider in the tour, there was sufficient drama […]
. L’Alpe d’Huez. photo Bryan77 Watching the Tour de France stage to Alpe d’Huez I was in two minds about the spectators. Was this the greatest collection of sporting fans in the world? or the craziest and most dangerous? Watching the riders battle through a sea of flags, cameras, running spectators, people dressed as giant […]
I think it was J.Vaughters who said this was not a good year to win the Tour. The first year after USADA’a 2012 report on Armstrong, it’s only to be expected the spectre of doping would loom large. If Froome had crashed out on the first stage, there would have been just as many questions […]
It would have been ‘interesting’ if Merckx had been riding in the present generation of riders. In 1969, Merckx won his first tour de France by a margin of 17 minutes 54 seconds. On the 17th stage, over four cols from Luchon to Mourenx, he won by eight minutes after riding alone for 140 km. […]
It’s easy to be a reality armchair cycling pundit ‘Why don’t you attack?’ Why don’t you ride faster? – these are all ideas that can easily come from the comfort of your sitting room. Yesterday, the tours stage was run at an average of over 47 km/h. That’s 47 km/h for 217 km. Usually, that […]
Watching the Tour de France made me aware of how easy for riders to be disappointed It’s a brutal race, with no hiding place. Slightly off the pace, and you can slip minutes away. A bit of bad luck, and you can pick up nasty injury. So many potential challengers saw their hopes dissipate pretty […]
Fairly early in the USADA report into US Postal, they made the point that according to WADA rules, performance alone is never sufficient to launch an anti doping investigation. In other words, ‘eyebrow raising performances’ are not sufficient for an anti-doping unit to begin an investigation of an athlete. There needs to be other evidence. […]
Tour de France – All Time Greats Not often a winning margin of less than 5 minutes. Related Full list of winners
The Tour de France is always a unique spectacle – whether it’s the bizarre scenes of a bus getting stuck under the finish line or seeing a dog playing Russian roulette with a peleton approaching at 30mph. You never now what is going to happen. But, whatever happens, the Tour will always remain the pinnacle […]
The tour is one of the biggest sporting spectacles in the world. No matter how many scandals and tearful confessions on Oprah , we can’t resist the allure of watching the Tour. The tour has everything, beautiful scenery, drama, excitement, raw passion and the opportunity for endless hours of Sean Kelly say ‘erm, well, I […]
It’s the week before the Tour de France and we have a whole week with no cycling on tele, just hours of speculation about the riders, the course and different possible outcomes. It’s that time of the year when journalists are desperately looking out for some tibit or quote to fill the press pages. Chris […]
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter
- I only post new blogs at cyclinguphill.com December 2, 2013
- results from today October 27, 2013
- Cycling uphill September 27, 2013
- Cat & Fiddle hill climb 2013 September 22, 2013
- 3 days rest works quite well September 17, 2013
- Cycling in Oxford Photos July 31, 2012
- Classic Time Trial Photos July 22, 2008
- Best Puncture Proof Tyres June 8, 2011
- Hill Climbs September 12, 2011
- Cycling Rates by Country March 30, 2009
- Why Would You Want an Electric Bike?: […] according to Cycling Info bike usage in ...
- Lars: I don't see how forcing cars to spend more time i...
- Carlo: There is a messenger bag that's also a pannier ba...
- Graham Wilkinson: Thanks for the article. I have cycled for many...
- Laura: Agreed: slow down! Having fallen off my bike sever...
- 10 Reasons to Take Up Cycling
- Cycling, Negativity and How to enjoy the bike
- Cycling Stats
- 10 Reasons to Love Cyclists
- Cycling Facts
- Cycling and the Law
- Cycling Highlights
- Tips for Commuting by Bicycle
- Cycle Paths
- Best Commuting Bike
- Effective Ways to Encourage Cycle Use
- Defensive Cycling
- What Kind of Cyclist are you?
- Fellow cyclists
- Cycling in England
- Training for Cyclo Sportives
- 25 Mile Time Trials
- Cycling Nutrition