I was out training around Stokenchurch and Marlow; and after several hill intervals, I was looking for a reason to take a breather. On a quiet country lane near Frieth, I saw a cyclist walking along the road, not looking terribly happy. I stopped to ask if there was a problem. He replied a double […]
After last weekends 100 mile TT, it was back down to more familiar territory this weekend – a 10 and a 25. This week saw little training. A nice easy week, motivated by a combination of Tiredness after national 100 Tour de France in the third week on TV After two big national events, it […]
At the weekend was two 10 mile time trials. The first one was the Hemel Hempstead 10 mile on the ‘super fast’ F11/10. The event had attracted a large entry, with the hope that the course would produce some fast times. The entry field look more like a national championship than a ‘fish and chipper’ […]
On Saturday, I was riding the Farnham 10 mile TT open time trial. Off number 100 in a field of 101. It was a good race; despite a north westerly wind, it felt fast. I managed to do the 10 miles in 20.21, which was just enough for first place, pushing Nick Dwyer into second […]
Last year, the Buxton MTT was run against a backdrop of quite impressive looking snowdrifts. This year, the original date was cancelled due to even heavier snow, but fortunately was rearranged to this May bank holiday. After all the snow cancellation, it was typical the event would be run under balmy conditions, 17 degrees and […]
Beacon RC Little Mountain time trial is a classic hilly time trial run since 1948. It is a race with a great tradition and challenging hilly terrain. There is a lot of effort and enthusiasm put into the organisation and promotion so it’s good to see it rewarded with a big field of over 100 […]
Last year, I rode the Circuit of the Dales, and decided it was one of the best races in the calender. This year was another great event, though also a reminder of how tough 50 hilly miles in the Yorkshire Dales can be. The day before, I’d ridden out to Grassington, the day was so […]
Just a short post about recent physiotherapy experiences (and apologies for the rather grim photo. It’s the only thing I could think of which matched the title) When I went to Physio in Jan 2010, I couldn’t bend my leg in a straight line – it wobbled all over the place. No wonder I had […]
Another cold March morning and another hilly time trial. This time 30.8 miles around the lanes of Marlow, Stokenchurch and Henley, in a race organised by Maidenhead & District CC. I know these roads very well from training rides. There’s plenty of hills and drags around this part of the Chilterns, which is why I […]
Sunday was second race of the season, the Banbury Star hardriders 23 mile TT. A typical early season cold hilly time trial. This year was probably the best conditions I’ve done this race in. As I set off, my car thermometer posted a balmy 3 degrees, but at least with no wind. Last year, 2012, […]
It’s not the most romantic part of cycling. A dns against your name on the results sheet. For those not so familiar with the lexicon of British time trialling, dns is simply short for ‘did not start’ It could be worse, at least it isn’t bwsahib – ‘big wimp stayed at home in bed’ To […]
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter
- I only post new blogs at cyclinguphill.com December 2, 2013
- results from today October 27, 2013
- Cycling uphill September 27, 2013
- Cat & Fiddle hill climb 2013 September 22, 2013
- 3 days rest works quite well September 17, 2013
- Cycling in Oxford Photos July 31, 2012
- Classic Time Trial Photos July 22, 2008
- Best Puncture Proof Tyres June 8, 2011
- Hill Climbs September 12, 2011
- Cycling Rates by Country March 30, 2009
- Why Would You Want an Electric Bike?: […] according to Cycling Info bike usage in ...
- Lars: I don't see how forcing cars to spend more time i...
- Carlo: There is a messenger bag that's also a pannier ba...
- Graham Wilkinson: Thanks for the article. I have cycled for many...
- Laura: Agreed: slow down! Having fallen off my bike sever...
- 10 Reasons to Take Up Cycling
- Cycling, Negativity and How to enjoy the bike
- Cycling Stats
- 10 Reasons to Love Cyclists
- Cycling Facts
- Cycling and the Law
- Cycling Highlights
- Tips for Commuting by Bicycle
- Cycle Paths
- Best Commuting Bike
- Effective Ways to Encourage Cycle Use
- Defensive Cycling
- What Kind of Cyclist are you?
- Fellow cyclists
- Cycling in England
- Training for Cyclo Sportives
- 25 Mile Time Trials
- Cycling Nutrition