At the moment, the main focus of cycling seems to be evaluating the extent of knee pain – before, during and after cycling.. Every ride is trying to gauge whether I should be resting, going slow or going hard. If I train, will the knee get worse? Or is is just my mental imagination and […]
Often in the early part of the season, I got some mild knee pain. It’s been a recurring feature for many years. In the past, I woul just kind of grin and bear it. Hoping a combination of rest, riding and goodwill would see it disappear. These days, I’m a bit more impatient. Last year, […]
Between two weeks of ice and snow, and the forthcoming two weeks of wind and rain, there was a brief lull at the weekend – with rather a nice day for cycling. A touch cold at the start of the day, but it was a nice change to be riding on the open road – […]
The perennial problem of trying to do something productive after a long bike ride. The short explanation in this image from my friend at Tumblr. The long version. Back in November, I thought it would be good to get some of the winter miles with other riders. So I joined Zappi CC as a […]
After New Years Speedplay pedal saga, I had to take a whole three days of the bicycle. Not even the chance to cycle into town on a hybrid bike to loosen up the legs. Just three days sitting on the sofa, counting the days until I could return to civilisation and get a working pedal. […]
A friend has recently got back into cycle cross after several years absence. He says he’s loving it, but the dire wet weather has contributed to a perennial sequence of mechanical failures. Rear derailleurs, chains, cranks – all have needed frequently changing in mud soaked Britain. I didn’t say anything, but I was feeling just […]
I left the house, and realised, to my shock, I had only two minutes to get the train. In the good old days, when I was a lad of youthful enthusiasm and flexibility, I could easily have sprinted to get the train from that point. Out of instinct, I started to run because if I […]
A good week – 514 km over 5 rides and 7 commutes. Total is now 1,264km – 5,736 to go. slightly above target for first time. Sun – 185 km Cleeve hill Tues – 57 km Dorton Wed – 56 km Kingston Bagpuize Thurs – 70 km Witney Sat 17th – 67km Long Crendon All […]
Sunday was a great day for November. 8 degrees, sunny, little wind – about as good as it gets at this time of the year. The first two hours were a little on cold side as the sun slowly appeared to warm up the clear day. I felt pretty slow plodding along, being more concerned […]
2012 has been an interesting year. Near hypothermia during a snowstorm in March. A couple of classic time trials in April. A blood clot in May and a heart scare in July. In summer, a 31.5mph ride in a 10 mile TT, some epic Lake District hill rides and a memorable preview of the Olympic […]
New Hill Climb bike is Trek Madone 6.9 For 2011 hill climb season, the weight of the bike was 6.7 Kgs. However, with some modifications this year, I’ve reduced it to 5.8 kgs (12.78 pounds) Trek Madone SSL Frame Shimano Dura Ace Groupset Front wheel – AX Lightness rim – tune hub (350g) Rear wheel […]
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter
- I only post new blogs at cyclinguphill.com December 2, 2013
- results from today October 27, 2013
- Cycling uphill September 27, 2013
- Cat & Fiddle hill climb 2013 September 22, 2013
- 3 days rest works quite well September 17, 2013
- Cycling in Oxford Photos July 31, 2012
- Classic Time Trial Photos July 22, 2008
- Best Puncture Proof Tyres June 8, 2011
- Hill Climbs September 12, 2011
- Cycling Rates by Country March 30, 2009
- Why Would You Want an Electric Bike?: […] according to Cycling Info bike usage in ...
- Lars: I don't see how forcing cars to spend more time i...
- Carlo: There is a messenger bag that's also a pannier ba...
- Graham Wilkinson: Thanks for the article. I have cycled for many...
- Laura: Agreed: slow down! Having fallen off my bike sever...
- 10 Reasons to Take Up Cycling
- Cycling, Negativity and How to enjoy the bike
- Cycling Stats
- 10 Reasons to Love Cyclists
- Cycling Facts
- Cycling and the Law
- Cycling Highlights
- Tips for Commuting by Bicycle
- Cycle Paths
- Best Commuting Bike
- Effective Ways to Encourage Cycle Use
- Defensive Cycling
- What Kind of Cyclist are you?
- Fellow cyclists
- Cycling in England
- Training for Cyclo Sportives
- 25 Mile Time Trials
- Cycling Nutrition