Cycling through the village of Old. On Saturday, I did a 21 mile hilly time trial near Kettering, north of Northampton. It was a good course, well marshalled with very low traffic levels. The hills weren’t too steep and I finished with an average speed of 26mph, which was 3rd out of about 50. The […]
Time Trial Bike (Steel Frame) Yesterday was my first race of the year. A 31 mile hilly time trial around Brill, Oakley and Ascott. It was great weather for an early season race. Low wind, good temperature and not a spot of rain in sight. I came 3rd in a time of 1.16.14. The event […]
Today, I won my first race of the year. It was a 10 mile TT. My time was 22.37. Second place was Peter Weir 22.43 and Ian Greenstreet of Newbury RC came third in 22.45 The course H10/3 is fairly new and this was the first open event, so maybe I can claim a course […]
Danny Axford Away from the glamour of the Olympics and British track cycling Golds, I was racing in the only slightly less prestigious Clive Pugh Memorial 25 Mile TT on the famous A4 Bath Road near Aldermarston, organised by Reading CC. The event was won by Danny Axford, Arctic Shorter in 52 mins. I did […]
Weston on the Green 14 miles from Oxford, there is an airfield used mainly for paragliding and parachuting drops. There is an outer road around the airfield of about 2.5 miles. Fortunately, we are able to use the airfield track for racing on Tuesday and sometimes other evening. Bicester Milennium CC do an excellent job […]
At the weekend, I was racing on both Saturday and Sunday Saturday 10 miles 21:12 average speed 28.5mph 3rd / 70 Sunday 25 miles 56:57. average speed 26.2 mph (6th /60) Saturday felt good. On Sunday I was quite a bit slower probably because: Tiredness from previous day Body not as responsive early in morning […]
On Saturday I rode a 25 mile time trial on the Bentley bypass (H25/8). It is mostly dual carriageway and so is a relatively fast course. It is not particularly flat, the drags are just long enough to break your rhythm. There was also a slight wind. My speed varied between 35 Kmph and 62kmph. […]
I completed my first race of the year today. It was a 25 mile time trial based on the A4 around Marlow (H25/2). Looking at the results board I think I came about 6 or 7th out of 68. My time was 54.24, which I was pleased with (I think average speed about 27.5mph) It’s […]
I started my first time trial in about 6 months today. It was raining and pretty windy, and I have to say I was a little tempted to stay at home and watch Team GB win more Gold medals on the track, but I thought it’s about time I started racing (I seem to make […]
This year was quite a quiet year. Unfortunately, I didn’t have much time to race. In the early season I won a 31 mile Hilly TT organised by Oxonians CC My best 10 mile Time Trial was a 21.36. My PB. is 21.00 I finished 7th in the National Hill Climb Championship, held at Cheddar […]
Targets Keep riding throughout the year. Race every fortnight National Championships: 10 Miles, 25 Miles and National Hill Climb Train 4-5 times a week from January 1st onwards. January and February Base Training. Some rides at 18mph upto 80% HR March start moderate time trial interval sessions. Effort level similar or just above race level. […]
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter
- I only post new blogs at cyclinguphill.com December 2, 2013
- results from today October 27, 2013
- Cycling uphill September 27, 2013
- Cat & Fiddle hill climb 2013 September 22, 2013
- 3 days rest works quite well September 17, 2013
- Cycling in Oxford Photos July 31, 2012
- Classic Time Trial Photos July 22, 2008
- Best Puncture Proof Tyres June 8, 2011
- Hill Climbs September 12, 2011
- Cycling Rates by Country March 30, 2009
- Why Would You Want an Electric Bike?: […] according to Cycling Info bike usage in ...
- Lars: I don't see how forcing cars to spend more time i...
- Carlo: There is a messenger bag that's also a pannier ba...
- Graham Wilkinson: Thanks for the article. I have cycled for many...
- Laura: Agreed: slow down! Having fallen off my bike sever...
- 10 Reasons to Take Up Cycling
- Cycling, Negativity and How to enjoy the bike
- Cycling Stats
- 10 Reasons to Love Cyclists
- Cycling Facts
- Cycling and the Law
- Cycling Highlights
- Tips for Commuting by Bicycle
- Cycle Paths
- Best Commuting Bike
- Effective Ways to Encourage Cycle Use
- Defensive Cycling
- What Kind of Cyclist are you?
- Fellow cyclists
- Cycling in England
- Training for Cyclo Sportives
- 25 Mile Time Trials
- Cycling Nutrition