It has been reported Alberto Contador tested positive for the banned stimulant clenbuterol. A World Anti-Doping Agency-accredited lab in Cologne, Germany, found a “very small concentration” of clenbuterol in Contador’s urine sample on July 21 at the Tour, according to a statement from the UCI. Rather confusingly, the cycling organisation reported that: ” the amount […]
I have great respect for Paul Kimmage. He was one of the first professional cyclists to ‘lift the lid’ and speak about the culture of doping. For his efforts he was widely condemned and ostracised by the procycling community who closed ranks and denied doping was a problem. It’s taken innumerable doping scandals, failed dope […]
Professional cycling has more than its fair share of disputes and debates within its own ranks. The current big issue is between the UCI and the organisers of other big races like the Tour de France. ASO (Amaury Sports Organisation) who organise races like the Tour de France and Paris-Nice, want to be able to […]
I often wonder how I would have responded, if I had ever become a professional cyclist in an era of doping. I think my response would have been a mixture of despair, anger and defiance. To be honest, I’m glad I never had a career when the majority of the competitors were trying to find […]
I recently read this article about Greg LeMond and his hopes for the future of procycling “Cycling is falling apart at the seams,” LeMond said. “It could take years to revive. I think it can, but only through drastic changes.” I thought it was a fair assessment. True, cycling has been through some very turbulent […]
After serving a two year doping ban, for failed drugs test, Roberto Heras has decided to quit professional cycling. It appears the main reason is that he is unable to join a pro cycling team and therefore, is unable to get sufficient renumeration. Heras complains: “I still don’t understand the code of ethics and why […]
It was no great surprise as T Mobile had been threatening it for a few week, but, Today, T Mobile announced they were cutting there involvement in professional cycling. “We arrived at this decision to separate our brand from further exposure from doping in sport and cycling specifically.” T Mobile has been involved in professional […]
2007 has been another torrid year for professional cycling. Doping scandals have continued to engulf the sport, with many of the top riders being embroiled in a seemingly endless series of scandals. The Tour de France was overshadowed by the race leader Michael Rasmussen being withdrawn on the suspicion of lying about his wheareabouts. Other […]
Michael Rasmussen has admitted that he lied about his whereabouts before the Tour de France. Anti doping officials are able to carry out random doping tests out of competition. They could not find Michael Rasmussen in Europe, where he said he was. In fact he was in Mexico. Michael Rasmussen said it was for ‘personal […]
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter
- I only post new blogs at cyclinguphill.com December 2, 2013
- results from today October 27, 2013
- Cycling uphill September 27, 2013
- Cat & Fiddle hill climb 2013 September 22, 2013
- 3 days rest works quite well September 17, 2013
- Cycling in Oxford Photos July 31, 2012
- Classic Time Trial Photos July 22, 2008
- Best Puncture Proof Tyres June 8, 2011
- Hill Climbs September 12, 2011
- Cycling Rates by Country March 30, 2009
- Why Would You Want an Electric Bike?: […] according to Cycling Info bike usage in ...
- Lars: I don't see how forcing cars to spend more time i...
- Carlo: There is a messenger bag that's also a pannier ba...
- Graham Wilkinson: Thanks for the article. I have cycled for many...
- Laura: Agreed: slow down! Having fallen off my bike sever...
- 10 Reasons to Take Up Cycling
- Cycling, Negativity and How to enjoy the bike
- Cycling Stats
- 10 Reasons to Love Cyclists
- Cycling Facts
- Cycling and the Law
- Cycling Highlights
- Tips for Commuting by Bicycle
- Cycle Paths
- Best Commuting Bike
- Effective Ways to Encourage Cycle Use
- Defensive Cycling
- What Kind of Cyclist are you?
- Fellow cyclists
- Cycling in England
- Training for Cyclo Sportives
- 25 Mile Time Trials
- Cycling Nutrition