Cycling in the Lake District provides a great challenge for cyclists. Here are some highlights for cycling in the Lake District Kirkstone Pass Kirkstone pass is the highest road in the Lake District. It provides a difficult challenge for any of the three routes. The shortest route from Ambleside is also the hardest, with a […]
Expect the unexpected when cycling on holiday. Here a herd of cows blocks the road in rural Ireland. After an eventful couple of weeks in New York, I feel inspired to offer a few tips for cycling when on holiday. Apart from the very obvious lessons of avoiding the centennial eruptions of Icelandic Volcanoes, these […]
I was searching through Flickr and found this set of pictures from a cycling holiday. This picture by Hill Special is from near Bolton Abbey looking through the lower Wharfe Valley. It looks like the team of cyclists are encountering typical Yorkshire Dales weather i.e. Rain with a bit of sun creeping through. I love […]
I’m currently on holiday in New York. It’s tough cycling round here. You have to get used to getting beeped by cars just for being in the road. Potholes are worse than England and there are not that many cyclists braving the streets of Queens, New York. I’m trying to keep up with some kind […]
Last weekend I was in Lake Garda, Italy for a few days. Now I am travelling to New York, so my posting schedule may be disrupted. These are some photos from Italy. You can feel it is a county which likes cycling. I asked my non cycling host about cycling and he said the proper […]
I’m currently on holiday in Malaysia. I did not bring my bike nor have I hired one. I have done no exercise for the past two weeks. I was going to try and so some swimming but never got round to it. I am staying in the city of Kuching. Push bikes are a pretty […]
A Smiling Cyclist outside Stow on the Wold. Sunday, I cycled 101 miles to Broadway in the Cotswolds. I rode 50 miles into quite a strong wind then turned back. Ironically, Sunday was the same day as the National 100 mile Time trail championship, I nearly entered. I took this as a tourist ride stopping […]
The recent Irish holiday was the first time I too a bike on a plane. I had always been nervous about taking a road bike. But, I knew that renting a bike would be a disaster. The more cycling you do, the more important it is to ride a bike with the same set up […]
Cattle block the road ahead. The recent cycling tour to Ireland was a great experience. It was the first time I took a bike by plane; but, definitely want to do more of it. These are some suggestions for a successful cycle tour, mostly which come from experience of our recent trip Get A Good […]
The Dingle Peninsula from Connor Pass The past few days, I have been on tour in the South West of Ireland. Fortunately, the weather was kind, and we had two good days of dry, even sunny weather. It is said that the South West of Ireland is often drier than the rest of Ireland. I […]
One thing I really loved about the Yorkshire cycling scene was the number of ‘cycling cafes’. My introduction to cycling came through Otley CC. The club was based on the old traditional style British club run; cycling all day Sunday from 9am to 5pm, with 2-3 cafe stops. These days I don’t seem to have […]
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter
- I only post new blogs at cyclinguphill.com December 2, 2013
- results from today October 27, 2013
- Cycling uphill September 27, 2013
- Cat & Fiddle hill climb 2013 September 22, 2013
- 3 days rest works quite well September 17, 2013
- Cycling in Oxford Photos July 31, 2012
- Classic Time Trial Photos July 22, 2008
- Best Puncture Proof Tyres June 8, 2011
- Hill Climbs September 12, 2011
- Cycling Rates by Country March 30, 2009
- Why Would You Want an Electric Bike?: […] according to Cycling Info bike usage in ...
- Lars: I don't see how forcing cars to spend more time i...
- Carlo: There is a messenger bag that's also a pannier ba...
- Graham Wilkinson: Thanks for the article. I have cycled for many...
- Laura: Agreed: slow down! Having fallen off my bike sever...
- 10 Reasons to Take Up Cycling
- Cycling, Negativity and How to enjoy the bike
- Cycling Stats
- 10 Reasons to Love Cyclists
- Cycling Facts
- Cycling and the Law
- Cycling Highlights
- Tips for Commuting by Bicycle
- Cycle Paths
- Best Commuting Bike
- Effective Ways to Encourage Cycle Use
- Defensive Cycling
- What Kind of Cyclist are you?
- Fellow cyclists
- Cycling in England
- Training for Cyclo Sportives
- 25 Mile Time Trials
- Cycling Nutrition