I’ve been riding a Schwalbe Ultremo ZX Tyre on my rear wheel for the past 2,000 Km on my road bike. It is a slick racing tyre, weighing only 195 grams [Schwalbe ZX] and has low rolling resistance. Grip in the dry is very good. Unexpectedly, it performs less well in the wet, so as […]
Knog are newcomers to the lock market. The’ve tried to be innovative in coming up with bright bendy locks. It certainly looks different to your average lock. The Knog Party Frank lock is a lightweight (250grams), low security lock – Knog rate it 3/10 for security. The Cable Diameter 12mm, The Steel Cable Diameter inside […]
The Yorkshireman in me has always been reluctant to even contemplate spending £170 on a glorified speedometer. But, now I’ve taken the plunge, I’m kind of regretting not buying it a few years ago, when it first came out. The Garmin 500 is expensive, but also a really marvellous product. It is so good, it […]
The Knog Blinder 4V is a bright rear light with 44 lumens of light, visible from upto 800 metres. It is USB rechargeable and easy to fit. It’s also pretty sleek and aerodynamic. The Knog Blinder 4V is a different shape to the original square Knog Blinder. Recently, I’ve been looking for a bright rear […]
The Altura Night vision Flite is quite an expensive lightweight waterproof jacket. The main question is whether it is worth the £70 – when there are quite a few alternative jackets at a lower price? Firstly, it is very light (medium size is only 140grams) and very compact. It comes in a small grey bag, […]
I spend most of the cycling year in leg warmers. They are one of most important pieces of cycling clothes, and I’ve tried quite a few other the years. I wanted to test these Altura ergo fit leg warmers because it sounded intuitive to make leg warmers to the shape of your legs, rather than […]
Fortunately, I haven’t experienced too much saddle sore over the years. But, a painful posterior can be one of the big drawbacks of cycling long distances. I don’t apply a chamois cream every ride, but for longer ones, it helps to prevent chaffing and makes for a smoother ride. Quite often I forget to put […]
I have been using a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels for 3-4 years. They are a very good road clincher wheelset. Light, stiff and look very good on the bike. The first thing about the wheels is that they look pretty impressive with shiny silver and flat spokes. A rarity amongst wheels, they will […]
My favourite tyres for road cycling depend on the use of the bike. For commuting into work along roads and a river bank (Thames in Oxford), my highest priority is puncture resistance. As a general rule, I don’t carry a spare inner tube on my 3 mile commute. Therefore, if I puncture, it’s a choice […]
You know you’ve had a tough ride, when you are walking gingerly down the stairs reaching for the handrail, that’s how I felt about the 50 mile race on Sunday. This weekend I had two races, a 10 mile race on Saturday afternoon and a 50 mile race on Sunday morning. Usually, I don’t take […]
For time trials there is a trade off between speed and puncture resistance. If you choose a tyre with greater puncture resistance you will tend to get a) heavier tub b) higher rolling resistance. In an ideal world, you would change your tubulars depending on conditions. For a dry day on a nice smooth dual […]
Subscribe to Our Weekly Newsletter
- I only post new blogs at cyclinguphill.com December 2, 2013
- results from today October 27, 2013
- Cycling uphill September 27, 2013
- Cat & Fiddle hill climb 2013 September 22, 2013
- 3 days rest works quite well September 17, 2013
- Cycling in Oxford Photos July 31, 2012
- Classic Time Trial Photos July 22, 2008
- Best Puncture Proof Tyres June 8, 2011
- Hill Climbs September 12, 2011
- Cycling Rates by Country March 30, 2009
- Why Would You Want an Electric Bike?: […] according to Cycling Info bike usage in ...
- Lars: I don't see how forcing cars to spend more time i...
- Carlo: There is a messenger bag that's also a pannier ba...
- Graham Wilkinson: Thanks for the article. I have cycled for many...
- Laura: Agreed: slow down! Having fallen off my bike sever...
- 10 Reasons to Take Up Cycling
- Cycling, Negativity and How to enjoy the bike
- Cycling Stats
- 10 Reasons to Love Cyclists
- Cycling Facts
- Cycling and the Law
- Cycling Highlights
- Tips for Commuting by Bicycle
- Cycle Paths
- Best Commuting Bike
- Effective Ways to Encourage Cycle Use
- Defensive Cycling
- What Kind of Cyclist are you?
- Fellow cyclists
- Cycling in England
- Training for Cyclo Sportives
- 25 Mile Time Trials
- Cycling Nutrition